Beginners often start their first project in the home. Do you have an aquarium in storage or want to do more with your current fish tank? People enjoy the living art and the décor which this system introduces into living quarters. The beauty of the colorful fish and the greenery adds nature to the indoors while also growing foods. If there is no interest in growing foods many flowering plants may be considered.
Many gardeners enjoy traditional gardening. Some people like to use both methods.
Traditional Versus Aquaponics:
- Land vs water
- Large space vs small space
- Seasonal vs year-round
- Gardening tools vs some tools
- Seeds or plants are used in both systems
- Fertilizers vs organic fish wastes
- Pesticides, herbicides, insecticides vs none required for indoors
- Hours of maintenance vs one hour a day
- Manual labor vs automatic operating equipment
- Natural weather conditions vs controlled indoor environment
- Eat produce vs eat produce and fish
Growing plants with water and fish is much easier. This is a more pleasant way of obtaining organic vegetables and fresh fish raised on the homeland with minimum of effort and costs.
Fish has become very expensive at grocery stores. If you enjoy eating fish this becomes more affordable than shopping at your local store.
Why are home gardeners and commercial farmers using this method of growing crops or fish or the combination of crops and fish?
- Requires less water than traditional farming
- No waste water is produced
- No soil eroding conditions
- No requirements for harsh insecticides
- Toxin free fish
This type of farming coupled with fish farming has been done for thousands of years. Home growers have made great strides and the more ambitious gardeners are using abandoned buildings, such as warehouses, to build a commercial business. Once again, a hobby has become an entrepreneurs career.
How is this gardening accomplished?
- Select ornamental or edible fish
- A floating platform of containers with a plant or seed is placed on top of the water
- The roots are attracted to their nutritional needs with fish wastes
- The fish are placed below the plants.
- Feed your fish as their waste matter is the essential fertilizer for the plants
- The roots of the plants keep the fish tank clean